It was a cold morning in Bogor just as the other ones when I turned on my computer to work on my editing project. From where I sat, I could see the sky peacefully covered by dim darkness. I guessed I could sense the aura of solemn magnitude. It was November 28, 2011. Nothing was special on that day, except that I was honestly surprised to find a tremendous change in one of my favorite online dictionary websites.
Yes, they have changed the appearance of the online dictionary! Dominated by light blue on the background and purple on the primary logo of S, the website now looks radiantly creative. But wait up! Do you really know what online dictionary are we talking about? Bingo! Yes, it is none other than sederet.com. If my memory serves me correctly, I happened to know this online dictionary at the beginning of 2009.
After resigning as an editor from a publishing company, I decided to be a freelance editor and translator as well. Leaving my job, I had several editing and translating projects from another publishing company. I have always felt that my English-Indonesian dictionary is not sufficient to help me both edit and translate English texts into Indonesian. For that reason, I then went googling to find a reliably complete online dictionary considering that it would be more practical for me than to look up a dictionary over and over for a particular word. As the material for translation got more varied and complex, it had then been frequent that I couldn’t find an appropriate translation for an English word. And sederet.com was and has always been there to help me deal with a word that is not available in my existing dictionary.
As far as I’m concerned, there are at least ten points why I use and keep using sederet.com.
1. The vastly complete collection of words. The first time I knew this dictionary, I could get the best equivalence in Indonesian for several troubling English words that are somehow vacant in other dictionaries, both physical dictionary and online one. Sederet.com provides a relatively complete list of many possibilities and relatedness for a single word. This gives me free options to choose one based on what I really need.
2. The drop-down effect. The new sederet now offers a drop-down feature that allows us to select the word we want to look up simply by clicking the offered words coming out on the menu downward. This really saves our time and helps us with the accuracy of a word we desire without troubling us several times due to misspelling.
3. In addition to providing English to Indonesian and Indonesian to English dictionary, sederet.com also enables usto look for the definition of an English word in English. This is particularly useful for me when I doubt the Indonesian translation, and so I usually check the original meaning in English to grab the basic idea.
4. Sederet offers free magazines and ebook covering a variety of themes and topics that will guarantee your increasing knowledge. I personally like ebooks or digital magazines that deal with IT as well as education issues. And this is all free in sederet!
5. When it is impossible for you to use a computer, suppose when you’re of a quite mobility, sederet mobile is all you need. By simply typing http://m.sederet.com on the browser on our cell phone, we can easily enjoy all the best features sederet could offer. I have had the hands-on experience of using this mobile version and it proves to be practical and yet powerful! I clearly enjoy using English-Indonesian dictionary and vice versa. The speed of how a word is presented certainly depends on the internet service that supports you.
6. There are also games we can play. To be frank, I have never tried on playing the game since I haven’t got plenty of time to do so. But simply by noticing the name of the game, I tend to think that they are good games in the sense that they can improve your knowledge and add to your joy. I promise to spare my time to hit on those games.
7. Sederet also accommodates the need of readers or visitors to have an access to many useful tips by reading articles that have something to do with English learning. The articles are quick but sharp! And beneficial, I assure you.
8. Other than the valuable dictionary service, sederet.com also has some interesting ads, both on education and non-education. The ads include newly released product or particular services. I often click on the ads and explore them even though do not always come to a purchase decision.
9. Whenever I write down a word on the blank space to get the equivalence I need, sederet will appear to me quickly with a list of words that I can choose. It is a real desired response; the access is speedy and rarely lags when processing a word.
10. With the increasing interest on social media, sederet will ease you to cope with your social media since you can easily share or tweet this website via twitter, Google+ and facebook.
However, sederet.com will be much more fascinating if the following considerations are made real.
1. The appearance, I mean the design and the layout of the web is honestly modest and therefore needs modification and enrichment in terms of spoiling view experience.
2. It will be fabulous if sederet can present a daily or weekly proverb or quotations that may inspire the visitors.
3. It may be good to consider to create a fan page on facebook or other social media so that readers/visitors could communicate and share many things for the improvement of sederet.
So that is how I see sederet.com. I don’t know whether it is a review or a complete nothingness. If you don’t believe in what I write, go to sederet.com to check it yourself.
Tulisan ini diikutsertakan dalam kompetisi menulis blog yang diadakan oleh sederet.com dengan hadiah novel berbahasa Inggris.